Thursday, May 21, 2015

Frosted Glass Look Flamingo Shrinky Plastic

I have started experimenting with paper and Shrink Plastic.  I have made hundres of these things by now.  My tree was covered with them this year.  I do one and it gives me ideas to do something else.   I have done the paper on the front and back of these.  Both have their appeal.  This one has the paper under the plastic.  I think it gets a cool, fosted glass look. 

I know most people make jewelry with these, but I am obsessed with making Christmas ornaments right now(probably for all time).  



I don't know if you can see it, but in real life, this looks like frosted glass.



A list of what I used for this project:

Shrinky Dink Ruff and Ready, 1 sheet
Hole Punch or small drill bit, I usually don't use a hole punch for the hanging hole.  I use the smallest     drill bit I can find and drill after I have finished the ornament.
Mod Podge Gloss - MP
Small Paint Brush
E6000 glue or something similar 
Black Sharpie for tracing
Regular pencil
Parchment Paper,
Tile
Flat Spatula
Cutting board or some other surface on which to drill
Pink Feather Boa - the small kind
Black chenille stem about 7 inches long
Scrapbook paper, I used one in a Pink Color and with a smaller print
Small Flat back Black gem for eye


I think you should be able to print this out and use as a pattern

 I hand drew this, I think you can probably tell.   You may  have to adjust his size if you are using a different brand of shrink plastic. At this size, after you make it and add legs, it is about 6 1/2 inches high including the legs. 

 I want to say a few things about coloring and cutting this out of the shrink plastic.  

1.  I usually trace these onto the shrink plastic with a black sharpie, on this one, don't trace the middle section that was drawn for the wing, unless you want to have that outline on the finished product.  That might actually look cool.  Maybe I'll try that on one.

2.  If you are using Grafix, you are going to have to play around with this.  I haven't tried it with that brand and from what I have read it doesn't shrink as much as the Dink's brand.

How I made this.

1. I traced it onto shrink plastic by laying my drawing  underneath the sheet of shrink plastic with the frosted side up.  I followed the steps above.   

2.  I used the sharpie to color in the tip of beak and a white pencil to finish beak.

3.  Cut shape out.

4.  Bake according to directions given by the manufacturer of the product you are using.  When I bake these I put parchment paper on the pan and place the plastic on that, then I put another layer of parchment paper on top of the ornament.  I have a small aluminum pan that came with my toaster over that I put on top of that. This seems to keep the plastic from curling on itself and sticking together.  I use my regular oven for baking these but I know some people use their toaster oven, but since I am using the pan from that oven to put on top of the items being baked that wouldn't work for me. 

5. Now, these things warp sometimes.  I don't know why one does it and one doesn't, even when I am doing the exact same shape.  If this happens I put it back in the oven for 5 minutes and then you can work with it a little to get it in the shape I want.  I don't put the parchment paper or pan on it the 2nd time as it doesn't seem to curl up so much at this point.  But remember, these will sometimes warp and it may never get to the exact shape you want.  Just consider it as having a handmade look and move on. 

6.  I also have a fairly heavy floor tile that I put on top of these when I take them off the pan from baking.  I put it on top and wait a few minutes for it to cool. Anything smooth, heavy and flat should work.   This helps it get flat.

7.  Once baked, use a flat spatula to remove to counter and cover with the heavy object you are using to flatten, like the floor tile I use.  Allow to cool for a few minutes 

8.  After cooling completely I move it to another piece of parchment paper because I know I am going to be sealing and gluing and lots of other things that make a mess.

9.  I use the baked flamingo as a pattern.  Place it on the paper you are using, trace and cut out.  You are going to want to make sure that you can't see your tracing line on your cut out paper form.

10.  I use Mod Podge to adhere paper to back of flamingo.  Cover the back of the flamingo(the shiny side) with Mod Podge, then cover the printed side of paper(you want the pattern to show through the plastic) and lay it over the glue you put on back of flamingo.  Cover the back of paper with Mod Podge to seal.  You may have to trim the paper some more along edges.  You can do it now, but your scissors will be a mess. or wait until dry.  Once it is trimmed the way you want try to seal edges with MP.   Allow to dry completely.


11.  To make legs, simply fold chenille stem in half and fold up one leg to cross over the other.  Use E6000 glue to adhere legs to back of body.  I sat a small heavy bottle over the area where the legs were at so it would dry firmly.  

12.  To add Pink Boa to tail I again used E6000.  I sort of made a loop of the stuff and glued it to the front and back of the birds tail.  I laid the flamingo on it's back, tore a piece of parchment paper large enough to cover the tail and put a small heavyl bottle on top to help it adhere firmly. 

13.  I used a small flat back gem to make an eye.  Used E6000 again.

14.  Drill hole with drill bit, use plastic cutting board or something similar so you don't drill through your counter. 

15.   Put a string through the hole in the top, tie a knot and you are done.   



No comments:

Post a Comment